Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Firefox 3: My first thoughts...

I've now been using Firefox 3 for a couple days now (almost). Overall, I'm impressed, but there are definitely a few things that got to me. I've gone through and installed it on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Mac OS 10.5 boxes (I haven't gotten to my Ubuntu rig yet). I really do appreciate the effort the developers put into making the user interface embrace the look and feel of the host OS. I also like the new smart address bar (I believe it's being referred to as the "Awesome Bar") and all the major highlights/upgrades.

However, the first thing I didn't like seeing was that a couple of my extensions/themes weren't compatible with Firefox 3. My buddy Mirko left a great comment regarding this on the previous post which pretty much nailed my thoughts exactly -- but basically, what the heck? The problem is that I have habits engraved into my brain, things that increase productivity, hotkeys, etc., that I was still trying to use, but was coming back with nothing -- what an empty feeling :)

Secondly, I'm not sure if a lot of people had this issue, but I was having a tough time (at first) figuring out why "Show my windows and tabs from last time" was not working. I would open a bunch of tabs, close them (not receiving the multiple tab warning I was used to), reopen Firefox to only see one tab... Well, without going on and on too much, it was basically because I had Firefox set to delete all my private data when I closed (including Browser History)... Apparently, Firefox 3 requires History to be saved if you want to use this feature -- even though it worked flawlessly in Firefox 2... interesting.

Otherwise -- Stellar!

No comments: